Douay Gold Project
Overview & Highlights
- Located in one of the best mining jurisdictions in the world
- Established gold resource – see Resource Estimate below
- Royalty free except for 1% NSR that covers only ~40k oz (NW Zone) of the current resource
- Excellent infrastructure with large operating mines within 150km
- District-scale 370 km2 property package
- 55 km of strike along the Casa Berardi Deformation Zone
- Significant resource expansion and exploration upside
Upcoming Plans & Catalysts
- Winter 2018 drilling campaign (20,000 metres)
- Current drilling targets high priority resource expansion areas
& new untested discovery targets
- Drill results expected throughout Q2
- Updated resource estimates (Q4)
The Douay Gold Project is located in Quebec, Canada. The Project is approximately 2.5 hours north of Val d’Or and 1.25 hours north of Amos via Highway 109. The exploration camp is accessible via a gravel road less than 10 minutes from the main highway.
Renowned for its mineral content, Quebec has a total area of 1.7million km2, of which only 1% is mined and 5% only is covered by mining rights.
Quebec has a favourable business climate with 200 mining companies conducting over 600 exploration & development projects, it is the second largest province as a producer of gold.
Quebec offers a number of competitive tax incentives created specifically for mineral producers. Quebec's refundable tax credits, deductions and allowances make for a very friendly business climate with a combined tax rate for corporations of 26.8%, one of the lowest in North America.
The Douay Gold Project covers an area of more than 370 km², situated along the Casa Berardi Deformation Zone (“CBDZ”) within the prolific Abitibi Greenstone Belt (“AGB”). Douay belongs to the syenite-associated gold class of mineral deposits, which includes Beatty (>5.6Moz Au), Holt-McDermott (>1.3Moz Au), and Canadian Malartic (>17Moz Au) in the AGB. The area is also prospective for the more typical AGB orogenic style (structurally controlled gold-quartz veins and veinlets) of gold deposit as well as for volcanogenic massive sulphide (“VMS”) deposits.
Douay consists of a northern corridor of relatively well preserved tuffs of felsic to intermediate compositions; the central 3 km wide Douay-Style Mineralization (“DSM”) corridor enclosing the CBDZ with a mix of syenitic porphyries, basalts, felsic volcanic rocks and iron formations, and gold-hosted shear zones; and a southern corridor of mostly basalts with siliceous-chemical sediments and chlorite-sulphide bearing feeder-pipes, both typical of VMS systems. The volcanic stratigraphy trends WNW to ESE whereas the major regional fault zones trend E-W. Existing drill data shows multiple higher-grade zones, including Douay West, within and near an elongated body of syenite porphyry over an area of at least 6.5 x 2 km. In addition, there are further poorly explored known and possible syenite bodies elsewhere on the property.
Alteration assemblages and micro-fracturing in brittle rocks hosting narrow veinlets of quartz-carbonate with pyrite are associated with higher gold values generally above 5 g/t gold over metric intervals within the DSM. Fractured syenite containing fine pyrite veinletsin addition to disseminated pyrite, encompassing altered basalt fragment and magnetite-rich "iron formation" yield 100 ppb to 1 g/t gold over decametric to hectometric intervals.
Updated estimate successfully converts a significant proportion of gold ounces from Inferred to Indicated Resource category, with resources at Douay now at 2.76 million ounces Inferred plus 0.48 million ounces Indicated, as highlighted below:
Table 1: Douay Gold Project Pit-Constrained Indicated & Inferred Resource Summary (Base-case)
*See disclosure notes below
Indicated Resources are present in the more tightly drilled Douay West Zone (3,693,000 tonnes grading 2.47 g/t Au for 294,000) and there are also four such areas within the Porphyry Zone (5,690,000 tonnes grading 1.01 g/t Au for 185,000). The Indicated and Inferred Resources at various cut-off grades are summarized below in Table 2 below.
Table 2: Douay Gold Project Pit-Constrained Indicated & Inferred Resource Summary (Various Cut-Off Grades)
*Comparison note: Micon 2017 estimate was all Inferred Resources of 2,813,000 ounces @ 1.05 g/t using a 0.5 g/t cut-off grade.
**Base-case. See disclosure notes appended to this press release.
Figure 1: Plan view of Micon 2018 Resource Areas: conceptual pit shells, with a number of the zones appear to be merging into a larger unified system.
For comparison purposes, click here to view the conceptual pit-constrained plan view used in the Micon 2017 Resource Estimate.
Douay Summary Report Table by Zone (base case @ 0.45 g/t Au cut-off)
|Zone||Category||Cut-off Au||Tonnes||Avg. Grade||Gold Ounces|
*See disclosure notes below
Click here to view summary report table by zone @ 0.50 g/t cut-off grade
- Mineral resources that are not mineral reserves do not have demonstrated economic viability. Micon does not believe that mineral resources estimate is materially affected by environmental, permitting, legal, title, taxation, socio-political, marketing, or other relevant issues.
- The quantity and grade reported includes both indicated and inferred resources for the Douay West and Porphyry zones and inferred resources for the remaining zones in the deposit. The inferred resources in this estimation are conceptual in nature and there has been insufficient exploration data to define these resources as an indicated category and it is uncertain if further exploration will result in upgrading them to an Indicated mineral resource category. There are no measured resources currently for the mineral zones comprising the Douay Project.
- The mineral resource estimate has been prepared without reference to surface rights or the presence of overlying public infrastructure.
- Figures may not total due to rounding.
- A gold price of US $1,400 per ounce was used for the purposes of demonstrating economics.
- The mineralized envelopes were re-modelled in GEMS at 0.3 g/t Au cut-off assuming an anastomosing style of mineralization with some inclusion of lower grade material for modelling purposes.
- Although the Douay West, Porphyry Zones were able to produce supporting variograms, all zones within the entire deposit were estimated using Inverse Distance Cubed.
- Search ellipses range from 50 m to 300 m using 3 passes to fill the model. The search ellipses were also optimized to reflect the anastomosing nature and different directions and dips within the mineralized zones.
- Block size of 10 m x 2 m x 5 m was used.
- The effective date of the mineral resource estimate is February 9, 2018.
About Micon International Limited
Micon International Limited (Micon), mineral industry consultants, is an independent firm of senior geological, mining, metallurgical and environmental consultants. The firm operates from integrated offices in Toronto and Vancouver, Canada and Norwich and Cornwall, United Kingdom. The professionals of Micon have extensive experience in the mining industry with both mining companies and leading consultancy firms
The Updated Technical Report is currently pending, the 43-101 Mineral Resource Report will be filed on SEDAR by Maple Gold within 45 days of the February 14, 2018 press release. Please see previous NI-43-101 Report dated April 2017 by following the link below
NI-43-101 Technical Report - April 2017
The first gold discovery at the Douay Gold Project was made by Inco Ltd. in 1976. From 1976 to 2017 a total of ~222,000 metres of drilling has been completed, including ~66,000 metres by Maple Gold (2011-2017), see the table below:
|Company||Year||Drill Holes||Total Metres||Cumulative Drill Holes||Cumulative Metres|
|Inco, SOQUEM and Aurizon||1976 to 1999||468||122,906||468||122,906|
|Vior||2004 to 2010||107||32,785||575||155691|
|Maple Gold||2011 to 2017||182||66,142||757||221,833|
|TOTAL||1976 to 2017||757||221,833|
The Douay Gold Project hosts numerous high-grade gold occurrences within larger low-grade envelopes of mineralization. Visible gold often occurs in quartz micro-veinlets and the table below highlights some of the high-grade results reported from previous drill campaigns:
Drill Highlights from Previous Campaigns
|DDH# (Year drilled)||Location||Gold Grade (g/t)||Intercept||Accumulation|
|D-107 (2005)||Douay West||2.99||46.5||143.2|
*Drill results in the above table are core lengths. Please refer to the 43-101 technical report for further information on drilling at the Douay Gold Project
Exploration Upside & 2018 Winter Drilling Program
Fig 1 – PR Jan 10 2018 - Distribution of shallow “Top-of-Bedrock” holes (black crosses) and diamond drill sites being permitted within and beyond the Resource Area (black diamonds), on regional gradient magnetics base map. White stippled area will be mapped in summer 2018 focusing on Remote Spectral Geology Targets.
This brownfields area at the Douay Gold Project contains two distinct styles of gold mineralization, as well as copper-zinc associated with volcanogenic massive sulphide (“VMS”) mineralization. Gold mineralization hosted by altered mafic volcanics is generally of higher grade, occurring in zones such as Douay West (4.47 Mt @ 2.36 g/t Au; Micon, 2017), whereas gold hosted by altered porphyritic rocks forms large lower-grade zones such as the Porphyry Zone (72.16 Mt @ 0.96 g/t Au; Micon, 2017). The Douay Resources are open along strike and plunge, such that brownfields exploration potential for resource expansion is considered excellent.
The remaining majority portion of the Project remains relatively unexplored, despite its location along a major regional structure. This greenfields area is considered to have potential not only for VMS and mafic- and porphyry-hosted gold mineralization, but also for other styles of mineralization such as occurs elsewhere along the CBDZ and in the region (i.e. Casa Berardi, Estrades, Eagle - Telbel, Vezza, and Sleeping Giant deposits).
The Company has revised its exploration plans to capture both the brownfields and greenfields potential of the project. A thorough review and analysis of all existing geological, geochemical and geophysical data is in progress, which combined with generation of new data from re-logging and sampling programs (see figure), will be used to produce a comprehensive exploration strategy and diamond drilling plan during Q1 2018.
For more information on the Company’s exploration and drilling plans: News Release – Sep 12, 2017: Updated Exploration Plans
Communities and the Environment
Maple Gold Mines Ltd. understands and appreciates the shared value that mining can bring but also understands its risks and the importance of responsible and sustainable development. Our Company strives to maintain the highest standards of environmental protection and community engagement throughout the exploration and potential development process. We are focused on bringing shared value to the Northern Abitibi and all of our stakeholders.
Unless otherwise stated, the scientific and technical data contained within this website was reviewed and approved by Fred Speidel, M.Sc., P.Geo., Vice-President, Exploration, who is responsible for ensuring that the geologic information provided on this website is accurate and acts as a “qualified person” under National Instrument 43-101 Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects.